Thursday, March 15, 2007

Long time no post

It's been along time since my last post so there's a bit to cover here. We'll start at the Taos Wool Festival last October. I entered a 2-ply skein into the contest. It was my first ever entry. I managed to get first place in my class (I think it was the plied, dyed wool class) and also reserve champion in the novice division! I was super surprised and excited. I'll enter another one this coming October, but it's going to have to be a ton better because I can't enter in the novice division again- that only leaves expert- agh! Lot's of practice is needed!














I haven't done a ton of spinning since October- been very busy with the kids. I have managed to finish two skeins. One is a superwash merino handdyed from the Dyepot in a colorway called bombay. I spun almost a full pound of it into three singles then plied them together- it is a worsted weight yarn and 700yds plus total. It turned out very nice I think. The plan is to make socks with it- at least one pair for my son- I hope there will be enough for another pair leftover.

It doesn't look very big in the picture, but I could hardly get it twisted into a hank it was such a fat skein!










I have also finished a 3-ply skein of merino/silk combo. Two plies of Merino and one of silk. The merino and the silk were hand dyed by Treetops Colours out of Australia in a colorway called English Gardens. It is sooooo soft. I ended up with 512 yds and 5.8oz (I haven't checked what weight it is yet). This was the first try for silk on my wheel It worked out well- I had to treadle a little faster than usual and keep the feed-in low because my highest ration is like 8.5:1 but it still spun up very nicely at about 36-40 wpi.

Also finished a 130 yd skein of spindle spun yarn of fiber I picked up at the wool festival this year. I took pics of all I picked up, but can't seem to find them- they've diappeared! I did get some very nice dark colored dyed wool from Interlacements (navy, purple, gray, burgandy), some wool and wool/mohair blend from Table Rock Llamas (the bleand is light purples, greens, and blues if I remember correctly), some very beautiful light fawn alpaca- a little dirty but not bad at all, and some shetland.

0 comments: